Monday, March 1, 2010

Housekeeping


Today marks my first attempt to actually communicate with the wide world through use of the internet. I don't want to overstate the significance of this post, or of this blog, but I just thought it would be a good idea to lay out just what I mean by Three Double Swings.

While trying to think of a name for this blog (probably the biggest hurdle for me, because I invest much significance in names-both for people and things), I was inspired (perhaps literally, who knows?) to use this name.

My first reason for the name was that I wanted something that sounded kind of low key, but also catchy.

Secondly, and most importantly, I hope this blog gives glory to God. This is not intended to be a religious blog (though I do intend to remark on matters of Faith). However, it would be foolish that a believer fail to acknowledge both the first cause (ultimate source) and final cause (ultimate goal) of his efforts. And that is, as I said above, God's glory. If you think that means that I'm planning to talk about God all the time, you're wrong, for as St. Irenaeus put it: "Man fully alive is the glory of God!" And while we ultimately need God to be happy, I would argue that He encourages-no, requires-us to use, enjoy, and reflect on His creation. That's why most of my posts will be utterly random, and (hopefully) of wider interest.

This second point is reflected by the title, which refers to the number of swings of the thurible given to show the highest honor towards God. In this image, God is being incensed in the person of the Priest. The Eucharist, the Crucifix, and the Gospel are all honored in the same manner-by three double swings. It's similar to "hip hip, hooray" (x3), but is much more dignified.

And, finally, the idea of adhering to a rubric of three double swings connotes a degree of thoroughness that I hope to capture here, copying Him who did all things well (Mk 7:37). This sense of accomplishment is not pursued out of pride, but out of earnestness for the task and hand and out of regard for those who attempt to benefit from it.

Now that the heavy stuff is out of the way,
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

No comments:

Post a Comment